History of the Instutute of Education
When the initial need of the Instutute of Education was conceived by the then Vice-Chancellor, Prof. Gambo Laraba Abdullahi in 2004, a committee was set up. The committee visited various Institutes of Education in Nigeria Universities such as Ilorin,Lagos and Ahmadu Bello, Zaria. A blue print was then designed.
The Institute was therefore officially established in April, 2005. The pioneer Director Dr(Mrs) Hauwa Imam and the current Director(Mrs) Theresa .O. Odumuh were members of the committe who the blue print.
- The Institute of education was established to provide part-time education opprtunities for teachers who cannot afford the regular first degree programmes in the Fedreal Capital Territory and other teachers in the various states of Nigeria.
- It was also established to provide non-education graduates as well as HND holders opportunity to undergo Post Graduate Diploma in Education(PGDE) programme to enable them became Prifessional teachers.
Number of Programmes
The Institute began with six(6) initial rogrammes for the Sandwich. It has however expanded currently to twelve (12) programmes: These are
- E.Ed. Guidance & Councelling
- B.Sc.(Ed) Economics
- B.Ed. Primary Education Studies
- B.A.(Ed) Christian Religious Studies
- B.A.(Ed) Islamic Religious Studies
- B.A.(Ed) English Language
- B.A.(Ed) History
- B.Sc.(Ed) Mathematics
- B.Sc.(Ed) Chemistry
- B.Sc.(Ed) Physics
- B.Sc.(Ed) Biology
- B.Sc.(Ed) Geography
The PGDE Programme covers both Arts and Sciences.
Name of Director
Dr.(Mrs) Theresa Ohi Odumuh( Associate Professor of Language Education)
Name of Programme Coordinator
Dr.(Mrs) L.A. Isah(B.A.(Ed),M.Ed,Ph.D)
The Institute uses Part-time lecturers from service department. There are over 300 lecturers participating currently in the sandwich and PGDE programmes.
2. Administrative Staff.
|Deputy Director||1 - Apointment is expected soon|
|Institute Secretary||1 |
|Finance Officer||1 |
|Senior Executive Officer||1 |
|Chief Typist||1 |
|Higherf Executive Officer||1 |
|Executive Officer||1 |
|Senior Clerical Officer ||1|
|Driver/Mechanic ||1 |
Recent News and Development
- A Deputy Director is being expected to be appointed soon.
- The first set of first degree sandwich students admitted in 2004 will be graduating at the end of 2008 Contact session.
Dr.(Mrs) T.O. Odumuh