<>WELCOME TO THE FACULTY OF VETERINARY MEDICINE
Welcome to the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Abuja, Nigeria, where we take pride in training students to become professionals capable of contributing to societal development. In addition to a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) program, we offer Post graduate diplomas (PGD), Masters (M. Sc.) and Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) programs in Veterinary Public Health, Epidemiology, Microbiology, Pathology and Parasitology. Our organizational goals also include improving the practice and quality of Veterinary Medicine, service delivery and the conduct of research in Nigeria. In pursuit of these goals, the Faculty management consistently supports students in teaching and learning, including mentorship programs to obtain national and international scholarships. We have recorded several successes and work towards more. The Faculty, and Indeed, the University Management have also encouraged public-private partnerships, one of which recently resulted in the establishment of a fully furnished electronic library as a learning aid amongst others.
Our staff are not left out of the Faculty agenda as we believe that the quality of students we produce is directly influenced by staff capacity. Multiple staff members have been supported to enjoy national and international research grants and scholarships. Such exposures have translated to the quality of teaching and research. However, these efforts do not leave us without challenges, but we believe our initiatives, superior skill set and the passion of our lecturers makes a difference. We seize opportunities, we take responsibility and focus on strategic planning.
The decision to establish the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Abuja, was taken by the Senate on 27th October, 2004. However, the Faculty did not formally take off until January 2007, with an initial student population of 18.The University of Abuja is situated in the Guinea Savannah zone of Nigeria where there is vast grazing land for livestock production all year round. This has attracted many pastoralists to settle and graze their animals in the zone.A variety of animal species is available in the Federal Capital Territory and the surrounding states such as Niger, Nassarawa, Kogi, Southern parts of Kaduna and Plateau States. These include, the equine, bovine, caprine, ovine, canine and avian. The availability of these species provide opportunities for teaching, research and Veterinary practice. Prior to the establishment of the Faculty, Federal Capital Territory did not have Veterinary Institutions. The closest Veterinary Faculty to the Federal Capital Territory is at least 200 kilometres away. The inhabitants of the Federal Capital Territory and its environs are therefore benefitting immensely from the establishment of a Faculty of Veterinary Medicine in the University of Abuja.
The vision of the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Abuja is to produce well trained and highly motivated Veterinary graduates who will be well equipped to embark on successful careers in Veterinary practice, Public Health and Preventive Medicine, livestock industry, academia and biomedical research.
The mission of the Veterinary programme is to achieve and sustain high national and international standards in teaching and learning and to promote excellence through:
- Provision of broad and balanced foundation courses in Veterinary Medicine with maximum practical exposure.
- Inculcate in the students the ability to apply biomedical knowledge and skills to solve clinical problems, prevent and control diseases, engage in livestock, small animal and aquatic animal production and to solve problems related to animal production system and the environment.
- Inculcate in the students a range of transferable skills of value in clinical and non-clinical employment.
- Provide the students with knowledge and skills from which they can pursue further studies in specialized areas of Veterinary Medicine and in multidisciplinary areas.
- Ultimately produce many job creators and not job seekers in the country and the world at large.
- DEPARTMENT OF ANIMAL HEALTH AND REPRODUCTION
- DEPARTMENT OF MEDICINE
- DEPARTMENT OF SURGERY
- DEPARMENT OF VETERINARY ANATOMY
- DEPARTMENT OF VET. PARASITOLOGY AND ENTOMOLOGY
- DEPARTMENT OF VET. PHARMACOLOGY & TOXICOLOGY
- DEPARTMENT OF VET. PHYSIOLOGY & BIOCHEMISTRY
- DEPARTMENT OF VETERINARY PATHOLOGY
- DEPARTMENT OF VETERINARY PUBLIC HEALTH & PREV. MEDICINE
- DEPARTMENT OF VETERINARY THERIOGENOLOGY
- DEPARTMENT OF VETERINARY MICROBIOLOGY
- VETERINARY TEACHING HOSPITAL
STAFFS IN THE DEAN OFFICE
|1||Prof. Wesley Daniel Nafarnda||Dean||DVM, MVPH, Ph. D, FLEAD Int.|
|2||Prof. Simon Malang Kawe||Deputy Dean||DVM, M. Sc., Ph. D|
|3||Dr. Balarabe Rabiu Mohammed||Faculty Examination Officer||DVM, M. Sc., Ph. D|
|4||Mrs. C.N. Irechukwu||Faculty Officer||B. A|
|5||Mr. Isah Alhassan||Senior Confidential Secretary||GCE, NAPTEB, CONF. SEC. II & III Certificates|
|6||Mr. Suleiman Y. Yakubu||Senior Executive Officer||Grade II Diploma|
|Mr. Audi Ibrahim Abubakar||Caretaker||SSCE|
|Mr Joshua Abota||Chief Driver|