The Directorate of Research and Innovation (DRI) plays a pivotal role in fostering the research and innovative vision of the University of Abuja. It contributes to research policies and provides broad range of research support services to researchers, staff, and students of the University. From accessing funding and supporting researchers, through to protection of intellectual property and research commercialization, DRI creates a supportive and innovative environment for researchers to thrive and succeed. DRI has five different units:
Research Grant Management Unit
This unit provides access to funding opportunities, thereby helping researchers to identify, apply and secure grants for their research.It also coordinates institutional applications and maintains institutional registrations and compliance with international funding agencies.
The support services rendered by this unit include:
- Providing prompt information and updates on relevant funding opportunities through funding databases and customized alerts.
- Assistance with proposal and budget preparation
- Day-to-day financial management of grant in collaboration with the bursary unit.
- Assistance with the gathering of institutional information and documentation needed for application.
- Coordination of institutional approval and signatures of applications where necessary.
- Facilitation of funding-related training.
- Regular updates on the status of submitted applications
- Documentation of progress and final report of any funded research project
Research Ethics and Integrity unit
This unit is saddled with the responsibility of fostering high quality and standard in research by ensuring that every research complies with the principles of ethics governing research in a particular filed
Its responsibilities include:
- Information to ensure research activities are safe, ethical, and in compliant with research regulations and University’s research policy.
- Working to increase researchers’ awareness on plagiarism
- Promoting originality, ingenuity and novelty in research.
Intellectual Protection (IP) and Commercialization unit
This unit intellectual property.
- Identifies, assesses and authorizes Knowledge Asset for formal protection.
- Reviews and files intellectual property
- Identifies research with commercial viability and providing commercialization support
- Assists with technology transfer.
Technology Innovation and Transfer Unit (TISC):The TISC unit gives researchers accessto high quality technology information which helps them to exploit their innovative potential and to create, protect, and their Intellectual Property rights. The services rendered by this unit include:
- Access to online patent and non-patent resources
- Assistance in searching and retrieving technology information.
- Access to information on industrial property laws, management, and technology commercialization.
- Training on database search, including on-demand searches.
Public Engagement Unit:
This unit identifies public engagement opportunities and support researchers in planning an effective engagement activity.
The unit renders the following services:
- Identifies and communicate public engagement opportunities to researchers.
- Support researchers on how to plan public engagement activity.
- Offers training on core public engagement skills to those with public engagement initiatives.
- Provide useful guidelines that will help researchers develop their public engagement activities and practice.
Tel: +2348033954983, +2349033786158